LEARN how to do PADMASANA (LOTUS POSE YOGA), its benefits & breathing pattern.
Lotus Pose/Padmasana has its name derived from the Sanskrit term ‘Padma’ which means ‘lotus’ and ‘asana’ which means ‘pose’. Padmasana yoga can be practiced by one and all. It is also known as the full lotus pose. When you perform padmasana, it appears like the shape of a lotus. This asana is also sometimes termed as ‘Kamalasana’. In general terms lotus position is sitting cross-legged with the spine vertically straight, making it ideal for meditation and concentration. This is the first among the four poses prescribed for Japa and Dhyana. This asana is said to be the best choice for those who seek contemplation.
Padmasana is also termed as a beginner’s yoga pose which anyone can learn easily at home. This is the position in which one sits while practicing meditation. This asana is a very good option for those who want to enhance their concentration levels. Padmasana can be practiced anytime throughout the day. It has no fixed time for which you have to sit in this pose. One can sit in Lotus Pose while watching TV or having food as well.
Padmasana is one of the basic poses performed under the beginners yoga series. Watch full yoga for beginners sequence @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2ya7BOVK60
Yoga can be described as one of the best mental and physical forms of exercise! When your mind and body get exercised simultaneously, then the results are amazing.
The advantages of Lotus Pose are listed below in brief for a better understanding:
Although Padmasana looks simple and easy-to-do, it gives you numerous benefits.
1. It helps to lengthen your spine naturally.
2. It helps to calm your brain and increase your focus and concentration levels.
3. It gives a good stretch to your spine, thighs, ankles and calf muscles. It is also said that practicing this asana until late pregnancy helps in easing childbirth (consult a doctor for this).
4. It stimulates the abdomen and bladder.
5. It strengthens the hip and knee joints of the females.
6. It is traditionally said that Padmasana is the destroyer of all diseases and also awakens Kundalini.
7. It relieves you of sciatica pain and improves your body posture. It helps in enhancing blood circulation in your body and improves digestion.
8. It helps to relax the body so this asana is good to get relieve menstrual discomforts.
9. Reduces muscular tensions and brings blood pressure under control.
How to do Padamasana?
1. Sit on the ground by stretching your legs forward.
2. Bend one leg to place foot on the thigh of the other, the sole facing upwards i.e. right foot on left thigh and left foot on right thigh so that the heels are opposite to each other.
3. Place the hands on the knee-joints. You can make a finger lock and keep the locked hands over the left ankle. This is very convenient for some persons.
1. Those who are suffering from ankle injury are not supposed to practice this asana. Always consult your doctor before you start any kind of exercise.
2. In case you are suffering from knee injury or have undergone a recent knee surgery, please avoid this asana.
3. Also if you have sprain in the leg, then do no practice this activity.
4. Do not perform this act if you have lower back or upper back pain.
5. Do not practice any asana beyond your capacity. Do as much as you can.
6. If you face any issues while practicing any yoga asana, you should consult your doctor or a yoga guru.
Go ahead with the lotus pose exercise and feel relaxed. All the best!
For more videos on Hatha Yoga subscribe to http://www.youtube.com/stylecrazetv
Can yoga poses help to increase your brainpower? Read this article :- http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/effective-yoga-poses-to-increase-your-brain-power/
For more videos subscribe @ https://www.youtube.com/StylecrazeTV
[email protected] https://www.facebook.com/StylecrazeVideos
Benefits of Lotus Pose (Padmasana):
– Opens up the hips
– Increases awareness and attentiveness
– Helps develop good posture
– Stimulates the spine, pelvis, abdomen, and bladder
– Restores energy levels
Yoga Natural Weight Loss
Relief for Anxiety
Free yourself from Fear
Deep Kumar is a 500h RYT and based in Malaysia.
He is travelling and teaching in different location
around the world.
Interested in Yoga Teacher-Training and Yoga-Workshops
in Malaysia and around the world, please visit:
Love Yoga Samiti
Video Rating: / 5